Stolen title from listening to Rihanna’s song then a shower of inspiration came over me. Yep, that is how powerful music can be!
Life is all about music. I mean literally, we experience it around every single corner. Unless you are in some sort of isolation (maybe social distancing or something) from the world, then you also would not be able to read this post.
So let’s mention a few places where we are most likely to experience music, of course, my list will be incomplete but let’s try: hint sing along with the italics 😉 (if you know the song of course, it is all old school)
- The Club – just to get your heart pumping, skin sweating. Out there singing, she hit the floor (she hit the floor), next thing you know, shawty get low low low low low low low – (Flo Rida ft. T-Pain)
- Girl’s Night Out – feeling all empowered and having the greatest time of your lives, because who runs the world (Girls). Who are we? What do we run? We run the world – (Beyoncè)
- Boy’s Night Out – no stress just loads of fun times, busy living young, and wild and free – (Wiz Khalifa, Snoop Dogg ft Bruno Mars)
- In Your Feels – sometimes when you are just going through the motions, having some time for self-introspections and realising that it’s okay not to be okay. Sometimes it’s hard […] just be true to who you are – (Jessie J)
- When you are in the romances – no matter the type of romantic relationship all you are feeling is love, love, love […] All you need is love, love. Love is all you need – (The Beatles)
- Casual intimacy – 😉 getting your Fifty Shades of Grey on. Can anyone confirm, is there a song that plays internally in your head when you are in the moment maybe something like, let’s do it, ride it, my pony. My saddle’s waiting, come and jump on it – (Ginuwine) [or] I didn’t know that I was starving till I tasted you – (Hailee Steinfeld)
- Solo Party – who says you can’t get your groove on all by yourself. Only you know can sing to yourself: I’m feeling myself, I’m feeling myself – (Nicki Minaj ft Beyoncè)
- In your head – we all have that annoying beat or rhythm that is on loop at one specific part. Brrratatatat, that’s what is in my head most of the time, well most recently.
- Games – not-so-long-ago I was playing a musical game with a few friends call “song association.” You give one word and the other people have to sing any song that contains that word in it. I find this so cool, a mixture of music and pressure = musical pressure, I guess.
Well, that’s what I’ve got for you, in terms of when you might be surrounded by beautiful sounds, internally and externally; I know there are many other instances, I just can’t write forever.
Something else that I recently heard of from a debriefing session that I attended not so long ago. I think it is cool and we should attempt it. Make a soundtrack of your life. Let me explain further:
There are times that we are asked “Tell me about yourself,” our response is usually, “uh, what do you want to know?” Sometimes we don’t even know the right things to say to best describe ourselves, but we know there are some songs out there that reveal a little bit of ourselves, we just identify with them, you know. So the point of a soundtrack of your life is if people had to hear this list of songs (no matter how long it is) they would derive something about me from each song and at least know the bare minimum of what can be known. I am still working on my soundtrack, I’ll update the post when it is ready, eventually. I’m finally doing it 😁
Soundtrack of my life
- Rise – Katy Perry
- Powerful – Jussie Smollett and Alicia Keys
- Just like fire – P!nk
- You’re so beautiful – Empire Cast
- Bad at love – Halsey
- Don’t be so hard on yourself – Jess Glynne
- I need a doctor – Dr. Dre ft Eminem and Skylar Grey
- Strip – Little Mix ft Sharaya J
- Woman like me – Little Mix ft Nicki Minaj
- Grateful – Rita Ora
Some are empowering and give me life and showcase my love for life and who I am and what I stand for. Others are to showcase my pain and struggle, that I go through sadness and heartbreak too. Most are not identical, but the similarities are there and I resonate.
Maybe later in life I’ll have a different list, who knows, but this is me now.
Share some other times where you experience music. Or better, list a few songs from your life soundtrack and I will have a listen, or a jam. I might even add it to my list, who knows? If you don’t want to share, make a list that is personal to you, I think it is something worth trying to do.
Let’s be #Royalty and change the world one song at a time.